Photo Gallery

Travel Curry Coast

Planning Division

Carolyn Johnson 
Community Development Director
(541) 247-3228

Nancy Chester
(541) 247-3284

The Planning Division reviews and authorizes development permit applications, administers and maintains the Curry County Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Land Division Ordinance. The Division also administers special land use projects such as  but not limited to housing, environmental and transportation studies.

Planning Fees Schedule  
Contact Nancy Chester, Planner at 541-247-3284 with any questions.

Application Forms and Information

Securing a Conditional Use Permit Involves the procedures outlines below:

  1. Submittal of an application form and deposit or fee.  
  2. Notification of an applicant within 30 days of the date the application is received as to whether the application is complete. Once the application is complete, the County will notify neighboring property owners of the application of a  20 day comment period on the application proposal. 
  3. At the end of the 20 days, the Community Development Director (Director) or her/his designee will again review the application and any written comments and prepare a decision to approve or deny the application or to forward the application to the Planning Commission for action. 
  4. Once a decision is rendered on the application, the Director will send out a notification of the decision to the applicant and all parties who responded to the notification referenced in Step 2 above.

Conditional Use Permit Application

Conditional Use Permits are required to permit new development and to enlarge or alter existing development. Development is required to comply with the Curry County Zoning Ordinance regulations. The County may also impose conditions on development to protect the best interests of the surrounding property, area, or county as a whole and comply with all County Zoning Ordinance regulations. The development must also comply with any requirements of service providers (water, sanitary, fire, others).

Hardship Dwelling: 
With a Conditional Use Permit, permission to place a manufactured dwelling or mobile home in conjunction with an existing dwelling as a temporary use for the term of the medical hardship suffered by an existing resident or relative of the resident.  A letter of verification signed by the Doctor describing the need for the hardship dwelling.  An annual doctors’ verification letter and fee is required.  The hardship dwelling must be removed at the end of the hardship.

Hardship Dwelling Conditional Use must include:

 Home Occupation: 
The home occupation must be a secondary use of a dwelling or building accessory to a dwelling; except that a home occupation may not be authorized in  a structure accessory to a resource use in a forest or agricultural zone. 

Such use shall occupy no more than 30 percent (30%) of the floor area within a dwelling and no more than four hundred (400) square feet within an accessory building. 

No materials or mechanical equipment shall be used which will be detrimental to the residential use of the property or adjoining residences because of vibration, noise, dust, smoke, odor, interference with radio or television reception, or waste products outside of the dwelling or enclosure.

No materials or commodities shall be delivered to or from the property which are of such bulk or quantity as to require delivery by a commercial vehicle or a trailer, or the parking of customer’s vehicles in a manner or frequency as to cause disturbance or inconvenience to nearby residents. 

No advertising signs shall be allowed with the exception of one non-lighted sign indicating only the name and trade of the property owner as specifically approved by the County.  This sign shall not exceed a size of nine ( 9 ) square feet.

No structural alterations shall be allowed to accommodate the home occupation except when otherwise required by law, and then only after the plans for such alterations have been reviewed and approved by the County.  Such structural alterations shall not detract from the outward appearance of the building as an accessory structure to a residence.

A home occupation located on high value farm land may employ only residents of the home.

Home Occupation Conditional Use Application must include:

Single Family Dwelling:
Applications may be approved using three different procedures a grid test, lot of record, or large tract consisting of 160 acres. 

Lot of Record: Lot of record is the person, or their family, has owned the property since at least January 1, 1985. 

Large Tract:Ownership of a minimum 160 acres, or a total of 200 acres that consists or different parcels.  ( Deed restrictions will apply to certain parcels against siting a single family dwelling to total 200 acres) 

Grid Test:  A 160 acre grid must be centered over the parcel in question.  Eleven different parcels must touch INSIDE the box, and of the eleven, at least three must have dwellings that were sited prior to January 1, 1993.

Single Family Dwelling Application Must Include:


Grid Test: Once Acre Square Overlay Map or 160 Acre Rectangle:

Zone Change:
The present zoning of your property does not permit you to develop or use the land in the way that you desire.  You need to change the land use designation in the Curry County Comprehensive Plan and the zoning of the property to allow your intended use.  In order to do this you must request a site specific plan/zone change.  You need to know about the comprehensive plan/zone change procedure.

Planning Clearance Form (Including Erosion Control):
This form is intended for county planning staff use in processing land development permits and does not constitute a permit.  Approval of this form authorizes only what is applied for at the time it is filed, i.e. Building Codes applications and Septic system applications to ensure allowable use including drainage plans.  Building plans must be turned in within one year of the Planning Department’s approval or the Planning Clearance and fees will need to be resubmitted.

Zoning Violation and Procedures and Request for Violation Investigation:
By State Law, all properties in Curry County are zoned for specific uses. Each zone has outright and conditional uses that are permitted. A zoning violation occurs when a particular property is used contrary to the authorized uses in that zone. Some examples of common zoning violation are: residential or non-residential construction without permits, using a Recreational Vehicle (RV) as a dwelling, or operating a commercial business in a residential zone.

Other Documents: